Home Instead Senior Care of Idaho launches Mission Medicine, a free medication compatibility review.
Mission Medicine, originating in Idaho’s Home Instead Senior Care, protects the elderly from the dangers of mixing medications. This is an annual senior protection program done at the beginning of the year so seniors have a portable and complete list when they visit future healthcare providers.
As a public service, Home Instead Senior Care (HISC) is leading the commitment to protect Idaho citizens with their own Mission Medicine, a medicine compatibility review of all remedies and treatments being used by seniors. This service is available during the month of January.
The biggest danger is people not knowing whether particular medications are safe to take in combination with one another. Many seniors take a variety of meds — daily, to treat pain, high blood pressure, or any number of other ailments. Such a combination of drugs is referred to as “poly-pharmacy”, and the result can be dangerous.
Home Instead has secured a free pharmacy compatibility review of all prescribed and over-the-counter medications and herbal remedies. By scheduling your Mission Medicine medication review through HISC’s participating pharmacies, you will know:
- how your medicines react with each other
- if using herbal remedies can decrease a prescribed medication’s reaction
- the likeliness of negative reactions
- added or new physical reactions which are a direct result of medicinal combining. Knowing this is vital to ensuring maximum treatment in personal healthcare.
According to Arthritis Today, 40 percent of seniors 65 or older use five or more medications per week, creating a perfect storm for hospitalization or even death. I want to do all in my power to prevent an unnecessary personal and family trauma, and our Mission Medicine program can do that.
Any medicinal combining should be done with guidance; however, here is a checklist of those who could benefit immediately from Mission Medicine:
- if you’ve taken the same medication for a more than 2 years
- if you’ve added medications within the recent six months
- if you’re considering a holistic avenue of treatment
- if you’d like to combine a holistic treatment with a prescription treatment
- if you’re taking prescription and/or herbal remedies with the addition of seasonal over-the-counter medicine for colds and flu.
To get a free Mission Medicine Preparation Kit and schedule your medication compatibility review with one of Home Instead Senior Care’s participating pharmacies, call 208-888-9962
Participating Mission Medicine Pharmacies:
2790 W. Cherry Lane Ste 100
Meridian, Idaho 83642
410 E Grove Ave
Parma, ID 83660
3355 E Louise Drive
Meridian, ID 83642
173 West 4th Street
Kuna, ID 83634-2046
Ladd’s Family Pharmacy
1109 South Broadway Avenue
Boise, Idaho 83706